White Rose Music
The Cliff Barstow Jig Competition
Information for competitors
Entry will be online, by email only.
Entries will open on Sunday May 3rd and will be limited to the first 20 applications. First come first served!
Please submit your application by emailing the following information to email@example.com:
- Contact phone number*:
- Preferred email address (if different from the one you are using to send this):
- First dance choice*:
- Second dance choice*:
Please choose your first dance from the following list:
- Old Tom of Oxford: Bampton
- Princess Royal: Bledington
- Ladies' Pleasure: Bledington
- The Nutting Girl: Field Town
- I'll Go and Enlist: Sherborne
You should prepare to dance this jig live when called upon by the compere. We will try to establish and stick to a running order, which will be published on the White Rose website, but things might change at short notice! The music used for this jig must be the prerecorded music downloaded from this site (see Get the Music).
Please also prepare a second dance: any standard jig, but you must supply your own music or musician, or use one of the above. A second dance will only be required from the 6 finalists (but you need to prepare one in case!).
Note: Dances should be a single jig drawn from the normal Cotswold repertoire, in a standard versions. Judges will be looking for good style, not fancy tricks!
- Judges to be:
- One nominated by White Rose
- One nominated by Whitby Festival
- One nominated by the Barstow family
- The outgoing winner from the previous year if available
Judges will choose a winner, but will not rank the other competitors, nor give out scores or feedback.
In the event of a tie for winning place, or of any other dispute, the final decision will rest with the Squire of White Rose Morris Men.Next: Get the Music